2015 King Award Information and Forms
Award winners will be honored at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Annual Celebration in Frankfort on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015.
King Award entry deadline: Nov. 21, 2014
2015 MLK State Essay Contest Criteria and Entry Form
2015 MLK State Art Contest Criteria and Entry Form
2015 MLK State Poetry Contest Criteria and Entry Form
Citizenship Award nomination deadline: Dec. 3, 2014
2015 MLK Citizenship Award Nomination Form
General MLK Awards information and 2014 Winners
The Martin Luther King, Jr. State Commission is composed of members appointed by the Governor from diverse backgrounds in Kentucky life, including persons associated with labor, industry, commerce, government, civil rights, education, youth organizations, sports, fine arts and entertainment.
The Commission’s mission statement is to:
- Promote the Holiday as an occasion to reflect on the principles of racial equality and nonviolent social change as espoused by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Encourage appropriate ceremonies and activities relating to the King Holiday.
- Promote community service in honor of the principles taught by Dr. King.
- Provide advice and assistance to local governments and private organizations with respect to observance of the Holiday.
- Promote the Holiday for interracial cooperation and youth antiviolence initiatives.
- Whereas, we honor this mortal man, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who gave the ultimate sacrifice; therefore, it is the Commission’s intention to promote unity, equality, and justice for all people in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the United States, and the world.
Martin Luther King, Jr. State Commission Members
Soreyda Benedit Begley
The King Center
Martin Luther King, Jr. National Day of Service
Kentucky AmeriCorps MLK Service Projects