MLK Annual Celebration
January 16, 2014
Sponsored by: Martin Luther King, Jr. State Commission, Governor’s Office of Minority Empowerment, Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Arts Council
2014 MLK Celebration Video
2014 MLK Celebration Photos
2014 MLK Art and Essay Contest Winners
2014 MLK Celebration Invitation
2014 MLK Awards information and List of Winners
The Martin Luther King, Jr. State Commission is composed of members appointed by the Governor from diverse backgrounds in Kentucky life, including persons associated with labor, industry, commerce, government, civil rights, education, youth organizations, sports, fine arts and entertainment.
The Commission’s mission statement is to:
- Promote the Holiday as an occasion to reflect on the principles of racial equality and nonviolent social change as espoused by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Encourage appropriate ceremonies and activities relating to the King Holiday.
- Promote community service in honor of the principles taught by Dr. King.
- Provide advice and assistance to local governments and private organizations with respect to observance of the Holiday.
- Promote the Holiday for interracial cooperation and youth antiviolence initiatives.
- Whereas, we honor this mortal man, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who gave the ultimate sacrifice; therefore, it is the Commission’s intention to promote unity, equality, and justice for all people in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the United States, and the world.
Martin Luther King, Jr. State Commission Members
Tiffany Yeast, Chair
Soreyda Benedit Begley
The King Center
Martin Luther King, Jr. National Day of Service
Kentucky AmeriCorps MLK Service Projects