Nominations Are in for MLK
The Martin Luther King Jr. State Commission will recognize people who build full lives upon the foundation he set. Awards will be given to youths as well as adults. More info ...
2017 MLK Celebration
Planning is underway for the Thursday, January 12, 2017 annual celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Stay tuned to this page for further information.
The Martin Luther King Jr. State Commission is composed of members appointed by the Governor from diverse backgrounds in Kentucky life, including persons associated with labor, industry, commerce, government, civil rights, education, youth organizations, sports, fine arts and entertainment.
The Commission’s mission statement is to:
- Promote the annual MLK holiday each January as an occasion to reflect on the principles of racial equality and nonviolent social change as espoused by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Encourage appropriate ceremonies and activities relating to the King Holiday.
- Promote community service in honor of the principles taught by Dr. King.
- Provide advice and assistance to local governments and private organizations with respect to observance of the holiday.
- Promote the holiday for interracial cooperation and youth antiviolence initiatives.
- Whereas, we honor this mortal man, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who made the ultimate sacrifice; therefore, it is the Commission’s intention to promote unity, equality and justice for all people in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the United States and the world.
Martin Luther King Jr. State Commission Members
Soreyda B. Begley
Sasha Love Higgins
Michael "Big Mike" Johnson
Nora Rose Moosnick
Clinton N. Morris
The King Center
Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service
Kentucky AmeriCorps MLK Day of Service Projects