2016 MLK Celebration
Award winners were honored at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Annual Celebration in Frankfort on Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016. Awards were presented by Lt. Governor Jenean Hampton.
View photos from the celebration on the MLK Commission's Flickr page.
View general awards information, forms and award winners on the MLK Awards page.
The Martin Luther King, Jr. State Commission is composed of members appointed by the Governor from diverse backgrounds in Kentucky life, including persons associated with labor, industry, commerce, government, civil rights, education, youth organizations, sports, fine arts and entertainment.
The Commission’s mission statement is to:
- Promote the Holiday as an occasion to reflect on the principles of racial equality and nonviolent social change as espoused by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Encourage appropriate ceremonies and activities relating to the King Holiday.
- Promote community service in honor of the principles taught by Dr. King.
- Provide advice and assistance to local governments and private organizations with respect to observance of the Holiday.
- Promote the Holiday for interracial cooperation and youth antiviolence initiatives.
- Whereas, we honor this mortal man, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who gave the ultimate sacrifice; therefore, it is the Commission’s intention to promote unity, equality, and justice for all people in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the United States and the world.
Martin Luther King Jr. State Commission Members
Soreyda Benedit Begley
The King Center
Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service
Kentucky AmeriCorps MLK Day of Service Projects